This week on Lock and Code, we discuss the top security headlines generated right here on Labs and around the Internet. In addition, we talk to Adam Kujawa, security evangelist and director of Malwarebytes Labs, about Emotet, the former public enemy No. 1 in the cybercrime world.
What began in 2014 as a simple banking Trojan evolved into one of the most sophisticated malware types in the world, able to insert itself into ongoing email threads between coworkers, recognize and evade virtual environments, and serve as a first step into infecting a corporate network, only to deliver separate malware at a later date. It was bad, bad news.
But on January 27, Emotet got knocked out.
Tune in to hear about Emotet’s past, its evolution, its eventual takedown through an international law enforcement effort, and what the upcoming malware power vacuum means for malware development, on the latest episode of Lock and Code, with host David Ruiz.
We cover our own research on:
- How NOT to fail at PDF redaction
- Android devices caught in Matryosh botnet
- Cyberpunk 2077 developer hit by ransomware
- Hackers try to poison drinking water at a facility in Florida
- Microsoft and Adobe fix in-the-wild exploits
- What Google learned from 1 billion evil email scams
- Researcher demonstrates new type of supply-chain attack
Other cybersecurity news:
- Eight Britons arrested over hacking phones of US celebrities (Source: Sky News)
- Scammers are selling fake COVID19 vaccination cards for $20 (Source: InfoSecurity Magazine)
- 223 vulnerabilities identified that were used in recent ransomware attacks (Source: SC Magazine)
- Malicious extension abuses Chrome sync to steal users’ data (Source: BleepingComputer)
- Junior leaders need to move past the discourse surrounding digital media (Source: Modern War Institute)
Stay safe, everyone!
The post Talking Emotet’s takedown with Adam Kujawa: Lock and Code S02E01 appeared first on Malwarebytes Labs.
Refer Here for Original Post and Source https://blog.malwarebytes.com/podcast/2021/02/talking-emotets-takedown-with-adam-kujawa-lock-and-code-s02e01/