This week on Lock and Code, we discuss the top security headlines generated right here on Labs and around the Internet. In addition, we talk to Pieter Arntz, malware intelligence researcher for Malwarebytes, about Google Chrome extensions.
These sometimes helpful online tools that work directly with the Google Chrome browser can pull off a variety of tricks—checking your grammar, scouring the web for coupon codes, and providing a dark mode for easier nighttime browsing.
But the Google Chrome extension landscape is enormous, and, for countless users trying to navigate it, they can run into trouble.
Tune in to hear about the the history of web browser extensions, and how to spot and protect against malicious Google Chrome extensions on the latest episode of Lock and Code, with host David Ruiz.
We cover our own research on:
- Malvertising campaigns, and why they have come back in full swing.
- The global shift in dark web purchasing due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- What possible cyber threats during the election season that every informed voter should know, expect, and act upon.
Other cybersecurity news
- COVID-19 research has become valuable in the eyes of espionage agencies. In Georgia, the Lugar Centre, also known as the Center for Public Health Research, was the latest named victim of a foreign cyber attack. (Source: Agenda)
- Charming Kitten, a well-known Iranian APT group, carried out attacks against Greek Navy Officers, with the end-goal of email and social media accounts of officers. (Source: Israel Defense)
- A Netflix verification scam starts to make rounds once again—so keep an eye out! (Source: Boston 25 News)
- Multiple data breaches have occurred in a number of organizations worldwide: University of Missouri, North Carolina Health System, Service NSW, and ProctorU to name a few.
- According to new research, DDoS attacks against online education resources increased by at least 350% (between January and June 2020) compared to previous months in 2019. (Source: InfoSecurity Magazine).
Stay safe, everyone!
The post Lock and Code S1Ep15: Safely using Google Chrome Extensions with Pieter Arntz appeared first on Malwarebytes Labs.
Refer Here for Original Post and Source https://blog.malwarebytes.com/podcast/2020/09/lock-and-code-s1ep15-safely-using-google-chrome-extensions-with-pieter-arntz/