Your WordPress website is frequently updated with blogs about your products, services, or company. You have added great content, and want to know how to reference it to other pages within your website or to link it to relevant information or videos from other websites.
Using links within your WordPress Blog helps your readers find relevant information and source material, research your products or topic further, and, by linking your website to others, builds the community of people visiting your site.
Adding links to your WordPress 3.5+ Blog is an easy process and can be done using just a few simple steps!
The easiest way to add a link to your blog is to do so while you are writing your initial post.
- Log into your website by going to yourwebsite.com/Login and entering your log-in information.
To add a link within your blog…
1. Write text that you want to link.
For example, from one of our other websites:
2. Open the page you want to link to in another window or tab, to make sure the link is still a valid link.
3. Using your mouse, select the text that you want to link.
Once the text is selected, you will see the “Add Link” Button open up on your toolbar.
Select this button to add the link to your text.
4. In the Dialog box, enter the relevant link information
- Enter the URL of the website you are linking to your page.
- You may choose to leave the title box blank. The Title will label the link if someone moves their mouse over the link on the published blog page.
- The “Open Link in a new window/tab button is defaulted to unchecked. If it is checked, then when someone clicks the link, a new browser tab or window will open, allowing your reader to stay on your page. If it is not checked, the reader will navigate away from the blog entry to another page.
- Select the “Add Link” button.
If you are linking your blog to another page within your site, you may choose to “Link to existing content”
Simply select “or link to existing content”; search for your relevant link; select the link from the box below, and select “Add link” to add the link. Using this option will automatically title your link on your published site.
Now that you’ve added a link to your website we should go over a few hints on using links on your WordPress Blog.
Do: Use one or two relevant links scattered throughout your blog post. If you put all your links together into one massive paragraph of links, it can end up looking like this:
Do: Make sure the links you use are relevant, updated, and valid. It can be very disconcerting to click on a link within an article to be directed to unrelated content or to find that the links are not working.
Do: Make it clear what the link contains in the surrounding paragraph and sentences. This will make the link information more understandable for the reader and place the link into the proper context. While you can occasionally use phrases like “click here” or “For more information,” readers might find it more helpful if the text of the link describes what the link contains.
Don’t:Be afraid to link to content outside of your website on occasion. While your own site has plenty of relevant information, linking to outside sources can also help provide evidence to support arguments, point to reviews of your products provided by outside sources, and may help you find new readers through trackback features. Some WordPress users use plug-ins that alert them to when their pages are linked to other sites.
Don’t: Link your page to word definitions. If you worry about your reader knowing a definition, you can add it to the text of your blog.
There you go! With these few tips and hints, you can start writing your blog and adding relevant, exciting links to your site.